why cissp says this about PGP/GnuPG?

Chris De Young chd at chud.net
Wed Aug 23 18:54:00 CEST 2006

> "How strong of a protection mechanism is required depends on the
> sensitivity of the data being protected. It is not necessary to
> encrypt information about a friend's Saturday barbeque with a
> top-secret encryption algorithm;

I'd even disagree with this -- while it's not necessary, I'd say it is
actually desirable.  Today, it's not necessarily a bad assumption that
an encrypted message is interesting; I suspect that although there are
exceptions, by and large people only bother to encrypt "interesting"
things.

If it becomes routine to also encrypt "let's go get coffee" messages,
the simple fact that something is encrypted no longer makes it
automatically worthy of scrutiny.

-C