Freenigma command line tool

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Aug 24 20:16:40 CEST 2006

Hi,

some of you might have heard about the new freenigma encryption
service for Firefox.  For those who want to play with it and use it in
ther ways, I have written a command line tool to access that service.
It is not yet very advanced but not too large files (i.e. they need to
fit into the core) may be encrypted and decrypted.  See the README for
details (below).  I plan to extend this tool over time.

To successfully build it you need to have GNUTLS installed (e.g. for
Debian "apt-get install libgnutls11-dev").

 ftp://ftp.g10code.com/g10code/freenigma/freenigma-service-0.5.0.tar.bz2
 ftp://ftp.g10code.com/g10code/freenigma/freenigma-service-0.5.0.tar.bz2.sig

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner

========
                          FREENIGMA-SERVICE
                         ===================
                             Version 0.5

    A tool to access the freenigma service from the command line.

                     Copyright 2006 g10 Code GmbH

    This file is free software; as a special exception the author
    gives unlimited permission to copy and/or distribute it, with or
    without modifications, as long as this notice is preserved.

    This file is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
    WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law; without even
    the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
    PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

     "freenigma" is a registered trademark of the freenigma GmbH.

How to install
==============

Standard configure and make procedure applies.  As of now the checks
done by configure are very limited, so please make sure that a
development version of GNUTLS is installed.

How to use
==========

You need an account on a freenigma server. In this example we assume
this account is <joe.hacker at example.org>.

To encrypt the file foo.txt to <big.boss at example.com> you would use:

  frngmsvc -u joe.hacker at example.org --encrypt big.boss at example.org

if you need to encrypt to more people, just add their mail addresses.
The output goes to stdout.
If you receive the encrypted file "bar.txt.asc", you use:

  frngmsvc -u joe.hacker at example.org --decrypt foo.txt.asc

and as usual the output goes to stdout.

If you don't want to use the -u option, you may always put this into
your Bourne shell's init file.

 FREENIGMA_USER=joe.hacker at example.org; export FREENIGMA_USER

There are a couple of other options available, run with the option
--help to see them.  Currently all operations are done in memory so
take care when processing large files.

That's all.  More on freenigma at http://www.freenigma.com .