Info doc conflict between 1.4.6 and 2.0.1?

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Dec 7 05:37:25 CET 2006

I was updating my system to 1.4.6 today and noticed the following in
the make install output (I've got 2.0.1 installed already):

install-info: menu item `gpg' already exists, for file `gnupg'

I don't recall seeing this before, but I don't use the info docs much,
so maybe I've just missed it previously.  It seems that 1.4.6 changed
the texinfo file to use the dircategory "GNU Utilities" just as 2.0.1
does.  1.4.5 used GnuPG.  Without knowing much about how install-info
works, I'm guessing that it's balking because both programs try to
create a gpg entry in the same info section.

If I'm looking to install both 1.4.6 and 2.0.1 simultaneously,
shouldn't the info pages for both versions be able to coexist?

If I'm doing something wrong or am incorrect in expecting that the
info files should be parallel installable, let me know.  If not, would
a proper fix be to use gpg2 as the entry for 2.0.1?

No oppression is so heavy or lasting as that which is inflicted by the
perversion and exorbitance of legal authority.
    -- Joseph Addison