Fwd: GnuPG 2.0.1 compile error

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Dec 8 04:59:24 CET 2006

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 09:01:33PM -0500, Zach Himsel wrote:
> On 12/7/06, David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> wrote:
> > We need at least a tiny bit of information to try and help you.  Let's
> > start with what kind of computer you have and what OS is running on
> > it?  Then look in config.log and see what it says about zlib.h (stuff
> > like "checking for zlib.h usability" and "checking for zlib.h").
> >
> Duh! Sorry, I forgot about that! :)
>
> I'm running Ubuntu 'Edgy Eft' on an Acer Aspire 5100 (Turion 64, 1GB
> RAM). I currently have GnuPG 1.4.6 and 1.9.21.
>
> config.log is as follows (regarding zlib.h):
> ===============================
> configure:30117: checking zlib.h usability
> configure:30134: gcc -c -g -O2  conftest.c >&5
> conftest.c:238:18: error: zlib.h: No such file or directory

Ok.  The problem is simple: you don't have zlib installed, or at least
don't have the zlib development package installed.  I'm not sure what
it's called on Ubuntu, but there is probably some variation of "zlib"
and some variation on "zlib-devel".  You need zlib-devel.

GnuPG 1.4.x comes with a built-in zlib just in case the build platform
doesn't have one.  GnuPG 2.0.x doesn't have a built-in one, so you
must provide it yourself.

David