Very Newbie Questions

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Tue Dec 19 03:11:23 CET 2006

Henry Hertz Hobbit wrote:
> Please be warned that this is a LONG response.

Henry, this response would've been considerably better if it had been
considerably shorter.  As it is, it's a very hard read.  For that
reason, I'm going to confine my remarks to just one thing.

> At least Windows people are spared the Macintosh OS-X,
> Sun Solaris, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera, /opt (or what ever)
> versus /usr/local argument.

Your typical OS X application will not use these.  A well-packaged OS X
application typically installs into /Applications as a self-contained
bundle.  Resources and the like typically go into /Library or $HOME/Library.

/usr/local exists and is available for applications to install into, but
typically native OS X apps use other locations instead.