Why are signatures marked as bad?

Robert Smits bob at rsmits.ca
Sat Dec 23 19:20:44 CET 2006

On Thursday 21 December 2006 22:44, Robert Smits wrote:
> I'm using the KGpg that comes with Suse 10.1. I use the KDE desktop and
> hence Kmail to send my email.
>
> When I sign a message with my personal key, when it leaves my outbox the
> message is marked by a green banner saying "Message was signed by
> bob at rsmits.ca (Key ID: 0xA3DF27D8336EF8A7).
> The signature is valid and the key is ultimately trusted."
>
> If I send it to myself, the messages comes back with a red banner saying
> "Message was signed by bob at rsmits.ca (Key ID: 0xA3DF27D8336EF8A7).
> Warning: The signature is bad."
>
> The signature itself is not outdated, so why is this happening?

Thanks to some suggestions from the posters to this list I did some further
work. First I uploaded the sigs to the key servers. I removed bogofilter from
the laptop because I thought the added filter notice might be changing the
file size. None of this worked.

I do notice, however, a change in file size when I compare the sent and
received files.

With the sent file, the multipart signed section is 1.3 KB, the body part is a
Plain Text Document 96 Bytes, and a Detached OpenPGP Signature of 189 Bytes

The file I received back had a multipart signed section of 2.2 KB, the body
part is a Plain Text Document 96 Bytes, and a Detached OpenPGP Signature of
189 Bytes.

It's obvious that something has changed, but I have no idea what is causing
this.

Thanks, Bob.
--
Bob Smits Ladysmith BC Phone 250-245-2553 Fax 250-245-5531 Email bob at rsmits.ca