controlling the use of subkeys

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Sun Dec 24 02:11:57 CET 2006

Mike Frysinger wrote:
> and what would you suggest ?  create brand new key sets when the
> previous one expires ?  i thought one of the points of subkeys is to
> minimize this sort of management

The best way to minimize management is to reduce the amount of stuff
that needs to be managed.

There almost certainly exist specialized applications where key expiry
makes a lot of sense.  But in general, I think most people who set their
keys to expire do so without really thinking about what clear benefits
it gives them, or what specific problem of theirs it will solve.

If you can point to a specific requirement or need of the Gentoo
community which key expiry will help address, then by all means, go for
it.  Otherwise, simplify your management by removing expiries.