controlling the use of subkeys

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Sun Dec 24 03:24:13 CET 2006

On Saturday 23 December 2006 20:50, Robert J. Hansen wrote:
> I hate to sound like an arrogant son-of-a-so-and-so, but it sounds like
> you're attempting to do complex things with OpenPGP without
> understanding OpenPGP very well.

probably, but that doesnt really matter to me much ... all the intricacies of
pgp do not interrest me, it's merely a tool to get other things done

> My suggestion: figure out exactly what you need it to do and send it on
> to the list.  If you need more than one sentence to do it, you may not
> understand your basic problem very well.

i have a personal key/uid i use for signing e-mails and such, E837F581.  when
doing gpg signing parties, this is what other people sign.  in Gentoo, rather
than using personal keys, we create a new key to keep personal and developer
package signing separate.

historically, i would just create a new key/uid (for example, the last one i
was using was CC2BD2F2).  then i would sign that with ultimate trust using my
personal key.

this time around, i thought i'd be lazy and just create a subkey off of
E837F581 since it seemed to be a bit quicker (205D3103).  then i noticed that
even though i told some programs to use E837F581 to do signing, they'd turn
around and use the subkey 205D3103, thus this e-mail chain ive started.
-mike