Still Bad Signatures - KGPG seems broken

Robert Smits bob at rsmits.ca
Sun Dec 31 20:20:56 CET 2006

I've been trying for some time to figure out why messages from me that are gpg
signed come back to me with the signature marked bad.

I run three different computers all with SuSE 10.1, and use KMail/Kontact/Kgpg
for all my email.

Whenever I send my own signature to either a mailing list or to myself, the
signature comes bad with red banners marked bad.

When I look in the sent mail box on Kmail, the same message is marked as
having a good signature.

This occurs no matter which machine I send it from, my work computer, my home
desktop or my laptop.

I discovered that I could send a PGP signature from a Windows partition using
Eudora/PGP 8.1 and the signature comes through marked as good.

I've even tried back levelling Suse to version 10.0 but I get exactly the same
results as with SuSe 10.1

Since I can send a message from the Windows Partition through my ISP and I can
receive it on either my Linux partition or my Windows partition with a good
signature I come to the conclusion that the ISP isn't doing anything bad to
the email, but that it has something to do with what happens to it when I
send it.

I wonder if anyone else with a similar setup (Suse 10.1/Kmail/Kontact/Kgpg)
can try sending themselves a signed email and see if this problem is systemic
or mine alone.

Bob
Bob Smits Ph 250-245-2553 Fax 250-245-5531 E-mail bob at rsmits.ca