gpg: OpenPGP card not available: Assuan server fault

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Feb 13 14:47:51 CET 2006

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 20:55:19 +0100, Felix E Klee said:

> As I'm at it, a minor complaint: In order to get the gpg2 binary, I had
> to do:

You shall not build gpg2.  Configure does not enable this option for a
reason.  Use gpg 1.4.2 (or the cvs version) for OpenPGP.  This is
stated at several places.

> Details:

> * Messages with 1.9.20:

>   gpgsm: can't connect to `/root/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent': No such file or directory

Your agent is not running, better install it first.

>   scdaemon[13949]: NOTE: this is a development version!
>   scdaemon[13949]: reading public key failed: Missing item in object

Well, gpgsm does not yet support the OpenPGP card.

>   # gpg2 --card-edit

Don't use gpg2 - use gpg!

>   gpg: WARNING: This version of gpg is not very matured and
>   gpg: WARNING: only intended for testing.  Please keep using
>   gpg: WARNING: gpg 1.2.x, 1.3.x or 1.4.x for OpenPGP

Is this warning still not clear enough?  How should I rephrase it?

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner