Necessity of GPG when using SSL

Jim Berland berland at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 22:34:38 CET 2006

Hi everybody,

I understand the use of GPG end-to-end-encryption and use it with a
few of my contacts. What I want to make sure is the following.

I am going to move to China for some time. My email ISP is located
outside China and I connect to it via SSL. So if I am only concerned
about the Chinese (whatever the reason; maybe my doubts are
unreasonable?) and not about the complete end-to-end-encryption of
GPG, the SSL encryption alone will do the job. Is that correct?

Thank you