Necessity of GPG when using SSL

John Clizbe JPClizbe at comcast.net
Mon Feb 20 01:16:14 CET 2006

Johan Wevers wrote:
> Henry Hertz Hobbit wrote:
>
>>Usually, if you are using a web interface to access your email, only the
>>initial authentication is done via SSL.  After that if your URL address
>>shifts to using an "http://" rather than the "https://" you made your
>>initial connection with means that your communication just shifted from SSL
>>(weak encryption) to NO encryption.  That is the norm.
>
> Strange, I've never seen that happen. All webmail from Dutch providers that
> I've accessed (my own and some for people with problems where I accessed the
> mail to dump mails with large attachments that took too long to download)
> were https all the way.

OF three major US providers I have experience with:

Earthlink and Google's GMail use https on their signin page then then switch
over to http once authenticated

Comcast starts with a HTTP page, posts the info to a https URL to set a cookie
then returns to http. Not a very good implementation.

--
John P. Clizbe                   Inet:   JPClizbe(a)comcast DOT nyet
Golden Bear Networks             PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10