Necessity of GPG when using SSL

Benjamin Esham bdesham at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 16:38:19 CET 2006

On Feb 22, 2006, at 6:22 AM, Janusz A. Urbanowicz wrote:

> And there is really no point in ecryptiong the whole access since the
> contents, the emails usually travel the rest of the net unencrypted.

But wouldn't it be much easier for an attacker to intercept all of your
e-mail by listening in on an unencrypted webmail session than by
trying to
intercept each e-mail individually somewhere else?  I think there
certainly
is a benefit to having SSL-encrypted webmail for exactly that reason:
less
determined attackers will not have access to the plaintext of the
messages.
(Although granted, it would be kind of foolish to depend upon SSL
webmail if
the messages are sent in plain text.)

--
Benjamin D. Esham