eudora, windows xp, and gpg

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Feb 28 19:46:29 CET 2006

Greetings,

A colleague is stuck using Windows (XP), and prefers Eudora (she has
version 6.2.3.4, which I believe is the latest) to read mail.  She only
needs to decrypt occasional gpg/pgp-signed messages.  Any advice on the
easiest way to do this would be gratefully received.

I found the Eudora plugin as part of the Windows Privacy Tools at
http://winpt.sourceforge.net/en/, but the last release was apparently in
2003, which somewhat worries me with such a new version of Eudora.  And
the "tray" idea worries me.  We don't need or want any UI or any screen
real estate to be used; all that's needed is email decryption.

I'd rather use GPG, but I also looked for PGP versions, and was rather
dismayed at the array of products out there.  Pretty much all of them
claim to work with Eudora and XP, but it is hard to know which "really"
work, without messing up anything else, etc.  If anyone has any
experiences on that front, I'd be grateful to hear those as well.

Thanks,
Karl