hard-copy backups

Atom Smasher atom at smasher.org
Thu Jan 5 20:07:17 CET 2006

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Janusz A. Urbanowicz wrote:

> from my experience, all keys for long-term, _safe storage_ (and after
> revocation) should be kept with no passphases at all
>
> human memory is very volatile and some day you gonna need to decrypt an
> old email encrypted with the key you revoked in 1993[1], and there's is
> no way you'll remember the old, long time not used, non-trivial
> passphrase
====================

and then keep the printout in a very safe place? a very well hidden place?
very safe, well hidden place?

hehe... the problem then isn't remembering the passphrase, but remembering
where you put the paper ;)

--
         ...atom

  PGP key - http://atom.smasher.org/pgp.txt
  762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

 	"WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH"
 	 The two minutes hate ended with this message
 	 which is the slogan of the Party.
 		-- George Orwell