hard-copy backups

Janusz A. Urbanowicz alex at bofh.net.pl
Fri Jan 6 12:25:58 CET 2006

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 02:07:17PM -0500, Atom Smasher wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Janusz A. Urbanowicz wrote:
>
> >from my experience, all keys for long-term, _safe storage_ (and after
> >revocation) should be kept with no passphases at all
> >
> >human memory is very volatile and some day you gonna need to decrypt an
> >old email encrypted with the key you revoked in 1993[1], and there's is
> >no way you'll remember the old, long time not used, non-trivial
> >passphrase
> ====================
>
> and then keep the printout in a very safe place? a very well hidden place?
> very safe, well hidden place?
>
> hehe... the problem then isn't remembering the passphrase, but remembering
> where you put the paper ;)

At least this knowledge is not case sensitive. And not national-characters-encoding
sensitive too.

Keep it with other important papers of your life. And not necessarily
printouts only, slowly burned CD kept in good conditions, or some solid
state memory storage (like a small and cheap pendrive), can last a few
years.
--
mors ab alto
0x46399138