Selecting subkeys while using GnuPG

Alphax alphasigmax at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 14:18:19 CET 2006

Nicky wrote:
>> SHA-1 implies DSA which would mean a DSA key. What happen if you
>> specify SHA-256 without explicitly selecting the subkey?
>

> When I select the SHA256 algo, gpg returns an error that DSA will use
> nothing more than a good 160 bit algo. Thanks for the help though.

Erm... I know(?) GPG is meant to use a subkey "where possible" (ie. if a
signing subkey exists it will use it, if an encryption subkeys exists it
will use it), but is it meant to exhibit the same behaviour as PGP in
that it will use the newest subkey if not explicitly told not to?

--
Alphax                      |   /"\
Encrypted Email Preferred   |   \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign