Random seed for symetric encryption

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Tue Jan 17 10:06:18 CET 2006

hhhobbit7 at netscape.net (Henry Hertz Hobbit) writes:

>>> The SHORT answer is, yes it does need random data for just doing
>>> symmetric encryption.  Yes, you should care about the message.
>>> To make the message  disapper create a public / private key with
>>> a passphrase that will NEVER be the same passphrase that is used
>>> for the encryption of your files.  If you never use it (don't
>>> send email messages that are signed or encrypted) make it
>>> something you are guaranteed to forget and never use again
>>> (repeatable random key strokes? - you need to type it twice).
>>
>>I do have a public/private keypair which is regularly used. And the
>>random seed file actually exists. The warning is not always displayed
>>but only from time to time, just as if gpg ran out of randomness. So I
>>dare say that creating another keypair will not make it disappear,
>>will it?
>
> Oooooh! Now I understand more, and so does everybody else.
> To have us better help you, it would help if we knew the
> following (but first, generating another key will NOT make
> the message disappear):
>
> [1] OS & version

[0] nokile:~/Work$ uname -a
Linux nokile 2.6.12-10-686 #1 Thu Dec 22 11:55:07 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux

(Ubuntu Breezy)

> [2] Whether this has happened all the time or just started.
>     By that I mean did you have a period of time when it never
>     did this after your first set up GPG.

Can't tell. It started as soon as I started encrypting lots of files
with symmetric encryption (means: about 1 week ago).  When I used
public key encryption before this never happened.

> [3] The version of GPG you are using and if you have upgraded
>     it at any time.

[0] nokile:~/Work$ gpg --version
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.1
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

Home: ~/.gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB, BZIP2

I did only the regular distribution updates.

> [4] If you are having problems when you send email messages,
>     since it is also using symmetric encryption underneath the
>     hood so to speak.

Hmm. No, never saw the message there. On the other hand, maybe my MUA
is just hiding it. I'm using Gnus with PGG.

> [5] When you encrypt files, if you are doing a lot of them at
>     one time with little or no pause between each file.

Yes, exactly. About 2 GB in 14000 files.

> [6] The exact message again (I lost it) that GPG gives you
>     when the random fails.

I don't have the exact message here at the moment, but I'm pretty sure
that it literally complained about an "empty random seed".

   --Nikolaus

--
In Linux werden mehr Sicherheitslücken gefunden.
In Windows sind mehr Sicherheitslücken drin.