mpi larger than indicated length

david.t.kerns at us.hsbc.com david.t.kerns at us.hsbc.com
Fri Jan 20 04:39:14 CET 2006

I'm doing some inter platform/product testing..

I was running GnuPG 1.4.1 and pks0.9.4 keyserver on Solaris 5.8
I sent my publickey to my counter part running PsypherOPS on the mainframe
He encrypted a file and sent it to me. When I tried to decrypt it I got the
following error message:

$ gpg -d IFO.SECURE.PGP
gpg: mpi too large (51692 bits)

gpg: Ohhhh jeeee: mpi crosses packet border
secmem usage: 0/0 bytes in 0/0 blocks of pool 0/32768
Abort

So I Googled the error message and found several articles about upgrading
to pks0.9.5 to rid the error
(I was a bit skeptical since I had sent him my public key and not used the
keyserver for the exchange)
but I figured I'd try it. I found pks0.9.6 on sourceforge and built and
installed it. While that was building
I Googled more and found an article that said GnuPG 1.4.2 had a better
error message for mpi problems
So I build and installed GnuPG1.4.2 (woot! I'm current, for the moment)

Now I'm getting the following error message:

$ gpg -d -vvv  IFO.SECURE.PGP
gpg: using character set `iso-8859-1'
gpg: armor: BEGIN PGP MESSAGE
gpg: armor header: Version: PsypherOPS 4.30.00 - www.primefactors.com
:pubkey enc packet: version 3, algo 16, keyid 9E1BA0486180F04C
        data: [2047 bits]
        data: [2045 bits]
gpg: public key is 6180F04C
gpg: using subkey 6180F04C instead of primary key CDCF6506
gpg: public key encrypted data: good DEK
:pubkey enc packet: version 3, algo 16, keyid D2DDC51A2F833978
        data: [1024 bits]
gpg: mpi larger than indicated length (0 bytes)
        data: [MPI_NULL]

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Do I need to regenerate my key and send my counter part the new public key?
Or have I run into a compatibility issue with PsypherOPS?

other data:
$ gpg --list-public-keys
.../.gnupg/pubring.gpg
-------------------------------------
pub   1024D/CDCF6506 2005-11-18
uid                  dkerns at xxxxxx    <dkerns at xxxxxx>
sub   2048g/6180F04C 2005-11-18

Thanks

****
 This E-mail is confidential. It may also be legally privileged. If
you
 are not the addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use
any
 part of it. If you have received this message in error, please
delete
 it and all copies from your system and notify the sender
immediately
 by return E-mail.

 Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure,
 error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any
 errors or omissions.