Using other compression algos with GnuPG

Roscoe eocsor at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 08:23:23 CET 2006

LZMA seems to be notably[1] faster/better than BZIP2, which has made
it into the standard so I wouldn't immediately rule out its
suitability for OpenPGP.

That said I don't much think it should be included. It could *replace*
BZIP2 but replacing BZIP2 with LZMA would break backwards
compatibility a bit, and adding it resulting in  having both BZIP2 and
LZMA seems a bit redundant when we've been getting along fine with
just BZIP2.

Back to on-topic-ness...
I'd just use whatever compression scheme you want and pipe it into
|gpg --compress-algo none.
One tool one job :).

[1] http://tukaani.org/lzma/benchmarks