Using other compression algos with GnuPG

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat Jan 21 15:19:29 CET 2006

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 11:30:15PM +1030, Alphax wrote:

> > LZMA seems to be notably[1] faster/better than BZIP2, which has made
> > it into the standard so I wouldn't immediately rule out its
> > suitability for OpenPGP.
> >

> How well was LZMA known when BZIP2 made it in? Why was BZIP2 included
> when ZIP and ZLIB were already available? Does this preclude LZMA? I
> don't mind adding functionality so long as it is widely supported and
> will "just work" :)

I don't recall that LZMA was considered.  BZIP2 was added pretty much
for the reason you'd expect: better compression.  It does not preclude
LZMA.  It doesn't preclude any new compression algorithm.

Compression algorithms are different than ciphers and hashes, where it
is prudent to carefully scrutinize each new algorithm.  Compression
algorithms don't really impact security, so the barrier for inclusion
is significantly lower than for ciphers and hashes.

David