How to verify the file was successfully encrypted...

Benny Helms benny at egovmt.com
Tue Jul 11 21:38:23 CEST 2006

Hi folks.

I've read the man page.  I've read the FAQ's.  I'm not seeing what I'm
looking for.

Using something like "zip", you can use a -T to test the integrity of
the file.  Note: this is not testing that nobody has altered it, or that
it came from a specific user; it is only testing whether it is a good
gpg file and whether it can be decrypted.  All I can find in gpg is a
way to verify the integrity vs. a signature file.

I'm looking for a way to gpg encrypt a file, test that the encryption
was good and that the file can be extracted, and then to delete the
original file.

Even better would be a way to automatically remove the original when the
encrypted version has been successfully created, if such a parameter
exists.

At the very least, though, a way of testing that the file encryption was
successful without having to sit at my desk at 3AM running 'gpg
--decrypt filename' to test it would be very helpful.

Is this something I'm just not seeing on the man page and in the FAQ's?

Thanks!

Benny Helms