Use of OpenPGP smartcard on MS Windows

John Clizbe JPClizbe at comcast.net
Fri Jul 14 21:11:25 CEST 2006

David Picon Alvarez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to use the OpenPGP smartcard on a GnuPG version compiled for
> MS Windows such as the ones available at gnupg.org? What should I know about
> smart card readers, drivers, et al, before trying to do this? Pointers
> appreciated.

OpenPGP Smart card support has been in GnuPG on Windows for sometime now.
Prebuilt binaries from gnupg.org should work fine. Cygwin binaries for 1.4.2.1
or greater should also work.

The only thing you might need in the way of drivers is the reader manufacturer's
drivers to allow it to talk to the Smart Card service, scardsvr.exe.

I'm using an SCM SCR335 USB reader that came with the card. No problems.

--
John P. Clizbe                   Inet:   JPClizbe(a)comcast DOT nyet
Golden Bear Networks             PGP/GPG KeyID: 0x608D2A10