How to verify the file was successfully encrypted...

Samuel ]slund samuel at Update.UU.SE
Sat Jul 15 01:49:46 CEST 2006

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 08:31:39PM -0400, Vladimir Doisan wrote:
> The user base of GnuPG is huge, and any serious bugs in the code will
> be weeded out very quickly by the beta testers and early adopters.
> Invalid encryptions is a VERY serious bug.

Sadly this is not true enough, as has been illustrated recently by
some people asking about corrupted large encrypted files generated
on windows with (if I remember correctly) the "-e file" option some
time before. I think it was possible to restore the data by doing
some manual bit fideling in the encrypted binary...
(But I do not remember.)

HTH,
//Samuel