Moving computers with an OpenPGP card

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jul 18 12:08:05 CEST 2006

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 08:51, Tristan Williams said:

> i.e arrive at computer, download and import your public key, insert
> smart card and then be able to sign/encrypt? I have not been able to
> do this (though by copying my secring.gpg which has the key stub I
> can) and wondered whether it was possible?

Sure, it is possible.  Actually there is no need to copy the
secring.pgp because a gpg --card-edit or --card-status should create a
fresh key stub.  Along with the fetch command in --card-edit this
should make it all pretty easy.

However, I just tested it and there seems to be a problem. A debugger
needs to be thrown on import.c:auto_create_card_key_stub to see what
is going on.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner