sha2 utilities: Print or check SHA-2 digests

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 10 13:15:33 CEST 2006

David Shaw wrote:

>       --print-mds [files]
>              Print message digest of algorithm ALGO for all  given files  or
>              stdin.   With  the  second  form  (or  a deprecated "*" as algo)
>              digests for all available algorithms are printed.

Why is * deprecated anyway? Seems usefull to me if you don't know the hash
used and want to check quick. The chance of a file being hashed with hash 1
being tampered with so that it produces the same hash in hash algo B seems
pretty small to me.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html