Corrupting files

Remco Post r.post at sara.nl
Mon Jun 12 08:36:54 CEST 2006

Tom Thekathyil wrote:
> A wishes to send message to B.

In theory, any encrypted message is like completely random.

> Question: Is there in theory any way of breaking the corrupted
> encryption through brute force?

Brute force... trying every possible key on a message until the
decrypted message makes sense. Since in theory the corrupted message
could be the result of encrypting the message with a different key,
brute force may yield a different key, but in theory, this added
encryption does not add any security.

Now, is brute force feasible, no, not against any of the strong
algorithms.... I don't see why one would bother, not in this way.

> Regards, tt

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167
PGP Key fingerprint = 6367 DFE9 5CBC 0737 7D16  B3F6 048A 02BF DC93 94EC

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams