Passphrase on the command line

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Wed Mar 22 11:24:16 CET 2006

Hello,

This should be a simple question. What is the recommended way to decrypt
a file from a script that runs on a cron job? This is what I have so far:

cat passphrase | gpg -o MyData --passphrase-fd 0 -d MyData.asc

Where 'passphrase' has the chmod permission 400.

Is this the best option?

Background:  I want to setup a cron job to regularly download an
encrypted backup of a database, decrypt it, and store it here (this
computer then gets backed up onto tape drives).

Thank you for your advice.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--