Rijndael usage

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed May 10 11:22:21 CEST 2006

David Gray <david.gray at turpin-distribution.com> writes:

> What do you mean by "raw Rijndael"?

The output of the cipher not embedded into any protocol (like
OpenPGP).

Such a protocol needs to specify for example where to put the IV,
what key size is used etc.  I don't know the CryptStream stuff from
C#; it might have some defaults to create a stream in some protocol.

To write a compatible implementaion, one needs to know at least the
key size, the mode of operation (e.g. CBC or CFB) and the way padding
is done.

> The C# code that the software house are using is shown below,  even if
> I clone this program am I likely to be able to decrypt without them sending
> me a key in ASCII format?

You also need how to transform a key from whatever ASCII format to the
format actually used.  In general keys are not used directly but
preprocessed to match the required key length of the algorithm.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner