Upgrading from 1.2.1 to 1.4.4

Janusz A. Urbanowicz alex at bofh.net.pl
Thu May 11 13:52:00 CEST 2006

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 09:56:16PM +0200, Johan Wevers wrote:
> David Shaw wrote:
>
> >There should be no special steps to take.  Aside from the obvious
> >steps of making a backup and testing that your environment still does
> >what you want it to do, you can just install 1.4.3 on top of 1.2.1.
>
> The OP doesn't state what system he uses, but on Linux I have a synlink
> /usr/local/lib/gnupg which currently points to /usr/local/lib/gnupg-143.
> If you set it up like this you canjust rename the directory where 1.2.1
> resides, and chenging back is just renaming one symlink.

An organized way to dit is to use GNU stow. You configure & compile
gpg as usual, then (assuming you have stow installed and old gnupg-X.Y
was also stow'ed) do

make prefix=/usr/local/stow/gnupg-X.Z install

and

cd /usr/local/stow && stow -D gnupg-X.Y && stow gnupg-X.Z

all is seamlessly switched in /usr/local bin and lib

alex