Problems decrypting a mail with my openpgp card

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Wed May 17 16:46:32 CEST 2006

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 04:07:30PM +0200, Michael Bienia wrote:

> gpg --card-status lists the subkey 02CC2588 as my authentication key. I
> created the keys in the order recommended by the subkey_howto on
> www.fsfe.org: auth, sign, encrypt.
>
> How get I this mail decrypted?

You basically can't, unless you have a copy of your authentication key
outside of the smartcard in which case you can modify it into an
encryption key and decrypt.

This is a bug in PGP, where it will encrypt to keys that are not
marked for encryption.  It was fixed recently (in 8.something, if I
recall), but as you have seen, there are many old copies of PGP out
there.

David