question about compiling gpg with cygwin

Raphaël Poss gnupg at raphael.poss.name
Fri May 26 13:32:35 CEST 2006

Hi David,

David Gray schreef:
[...]
> AES256 is listed as a cipher but not a public key?  What is the
> The difference?  I was hoping to use asymmetric keys with me
> Giving the public key to the customer.  As mentioned before this all
> Works fine but I'm not sure which alogorithm I'm using when encrypting.

Note that AES256 is a symmetric cipher.

Basically, when using GnuPG to crypt data, first a symmetric key is
generated to encrypt the data using the symmetric cipher (AES256) in
your case, then the symmetric key is encrypted using the public key of
the recipient and bundled with the message.

That is, whenever you encrypt data with public keys in GnuPG you are
using two algorithms: one assymetric cipher to encrypt the key of the
symmetric cipher which crypts the data.

Then you have to decide which asymetric cipher you want to use (DSA,
RSA, ...)

The option you are looking for is probably --cipher-algo, however you
may be better served by the so-called "algorithm preference" list
attached to the public/private key pairs you are using.

Regards,

--
Raphael