1.4.3 problem with decrypting pgp2.6.3 symmetrically encrypted

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Sat May 27 15:02:45 CEST 2006

vedaal at hush.com wrote:

>symmetrically encrypted message when the cipher algo is set to
>anything else besides IDEA in Disastry's version,
>and 1.4.3 also cannot, and 'assumes' IDEA is used, and upon
>decryption,

I'll try to test this. You'll have to explicitly state the encryption algo
used since the pgp 2 file format doesn't specify it anywhere (and assumes
just IDEA).

>here is the symmetrically encrypted file using IDEA:

I have no problems decrypting it with gpg (self compiled version on Linux).

>here is the gnupg output (using 1.4.3 in cygwin on win2k pro):

Perhaps the Cygwin version is the problem? I heve had problems before when
I successfully compiled gpg with Cygwin (although that was some time ago,
with version 1.0.7 or 1.2).

>can someone using an 'ordinary' pgp 2.6.x version, also try and
>confirm if this happens in gnupg,

Messages symmetrically encrypted with my (also self compiled) version
2.6.3ia can be decrypted with gpg 1.4.3 without any problem.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html