1.4.3 problem with decrypting pgp2.6.3 symmetrically encrypted (Johan Wevers)

vedaal at hush.com vedaal at hush.com
Mon May 29 08:36:52 CEST 2006

>Message: 3
>Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 15:02:45 +0200 (MET DST)
>From: Johan Wevers <johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl>
>Subject: Re: 1.4.3 problem with decrypting pgp2.6.3 symmetrically
>	encrypted

>vedaal at hush.com wrote:
>
>>symmetrically encrypted message when the cipher algo is set to
>>anything else besides IDEA in Disastry's version,
>>and 1.4.3 also cannot, and 'assumes' IDEA is used, and upon
>>decryption,
>
>I'll try to test this. You'll have to explicitly state the
>encryption algo
>used since the pgp 2 file format doesn't specify it anywhere (and
>assumes
>just IDEA).
>
>>here is the symmetrically encrypted file using IDEA:
>
>I have no problems decrypting it with gpg (self compiled version
>on Linux).

ok, Thanks!
this is very helpful,

then the problem is not gnupg,
only me ;-)
(much easier for me to try to debug my setup ;-) )

>Perhaps the Cygwin version is the problem?

no,
tested on cygwin,
and also from gnupg mingw32 pre-compiled binary
at the windows command prompt

results identical,
but *did* find, and workaround the problem

the problem was
that my gpg.conf had these options:

cipher-algo twofish
digest-algo SHA256
s2k-cipher-algo twofish
s2k-digest-algo SHA256

( i put them in because i didn't want new keys to be self-signed
with
sha-1, and because i prefer twofish)

once these were # commented out,
the file decrypted perfectly with the following gnupg command:

gpg --pgp2 --decrypt filename

*but*

when Disastry's build is configured intentionally to used twofish
and sha-256
then there is nothing i can tweak in gnupg to get it to decrypt ;-((

here is the file: