Cipher v public key.

David Gray david.gray at turpin-distribution.com
Tue May 30 16:43:35 CEST 2006

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 05:20:04PM +0100, David Gray wrote:

>> AES256 is listed as a cipher but not a public key?  What is the
>> The difference?  I was hoping to use asymmetric keys with me
>> Giving the public key to the customer.  As mentioned before this all
>> Works fine but I'm not sure which alogorithm I'm using when encrypting.

> You're using both an asymmetric key (RSA, DSA, ELG-E), and symmetric key
(AES, CAST5, TWOFISH, etc) when you encrypt.

Sorry I may be missing the point but why does it now show AES or AES256 as a
pukey?

Home: /SYS$LOGIN/gnupg
Supported algorithms:
Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA, ELG
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH
Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB

Cheers

Dave