keyserver

Joseph Oreste Bruni brunij at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 7 05:13:30 CET 2006

On Nov 6, 2006, at 1:14 PM, David Shaw wrote:

> If you are not planning to sync with the outside world, then may I
> suggest using LDAP?

I considered the use of LDAP since I just recently built an OpenLDAP
server for us to use for centralized user authentication and it would
fit right in. But, from what I understand about using LDAP as a
keyserver, one would lack the key-data merging capability since LDAP
servers don't know about OpenPGP-specific data.

When GnuPG submits key data to an LDAP server, does it perform
merging (read-modify-write) or does it just submit the local copy of
the key, overwriting the previous key?

I was able to get PKS to compile on Linux and it works. My problem
was initially with trying to build on OS X since the db2 configure
script is so old that it doesn't recognize Darwin. I pulled the pks-
current code which uses the DB4.1 database and got it working on
Linux. But it doesn't support some of the more recent OpenPGP
features (attributes). (I'm not sure that that is a show-stopper,
though.)

I was intrigued by CKS but it's dependency on the defunct RpSQL was a
show-stopper, and using PostgreSQL as a back-end is some serious over-
kill for an access pattern that never changes.

SKS seems good but the use of yet another oddball language (ocaml) is
annoying and I ran into problems with it trying to compile on SuSE
Linux -- I'll bring those issues up on the SKS list if anyone there
is still participating.

I noticed, David, that your name is one of the contributers to the
PKS project. I was hoping that the GnuPG project might "adopt" the
idea of a keyserver and run with it, keeping it up to date. Has the
idea of public keyservers run out of steam?

Joe