Shell script to encrypt/decrypt/sign/verify from clibpoard

Adam Schreiber adam.schreiber at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 05:49:58 CET 2006

On 11/7/06, Zach Himsel <z.himsel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/7/06, Adam Schreiber <adam.schreiber at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If you're using the GNOME Desktop, Seahorse includes a panel applet
> > that does exactly that.
> > http://gnome.org/projects/seahorse
> >
> I'm using KDE, sorry. But I do actually use KGPG, which is (I'm
> guessing) the KDE equivalent of Seahorse. That is what I currently use
> to encrypt/sign/... my clipboard. But I have to go through 20 million
> steps in order to do that (copy input, click KGPG's Kicker icon, paste
> the input into KGPG's editor, click encrypt/sign/..., choose the key
> to encrypt it to (or my secret key for signing), copy the output to
> the clipboard, close the editor, paste the output to wherever I needed
> it). It becomes a pain in the ass to do *all the time*. I wanted to
> make a script to do all that in three steps (copy input, run script,
> paste output).

That does sound complicated.  The applet I wrote simply takes the
clipboard, acts upon it and then places the result back in the
clipboard used either ctrl-v or middle click.

If you're in a programming mood, it might be interesting to see a QT
implementation of Seahorse's libcryptui.  Our DBus interface can be
used in a desktop agnostic fashion.

Cheers,
Adam