Question about use of --cipher-algo AES & --openpgp

Henry Hertz Hobbit hhhobbit at securemecca.net
Fri Nov 10 16:43:17 CET 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 08:14 -0700, Henry Hertz Hobbit wrote:

<SNIP>

> command for everything.  In this case the extension is needed. I
> would prefer to have both the magic info / "date" command  AND
> the file name extension. It also may be nice to have just one

<SNIP>

OOPS!  I meant 'magic info / "file" command AND the file name
extension'.  I AM tired!  I am going to take a nap.

As an example, Ethereal (Wireshark) doesn't put on an extension
when you save in pcap (tcpdump) format on Linux (I think it
should).  But you better put ".trace" on the end of it when you
send the file to somebody who uses MS Windows.  They depend on
the extension.  I didn't pick that one randomly.  That extension
means at least six different things, showing just how important
the magic data and the file command are.  Even the PGP extension
has multiple meanings:

http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=pgp&Search=Search

We are lucky with GPG (so far):

http://filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=gpg&Search=Search

There is nothing with extension ".openpgp".

HHH