how to create a symmetric cipher

Remco Post r.post at sara.nl
Wed Nov 15 00:25:54 CET 2006

Wei Wu [H] wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Well, my ultimate goal is to encrypt data, but I don't want to use
> passphrase to do it as I believe it is not secure enough.

basically, a key is a asymmetric cypher used to protect the 'passprase'
used in a symmetric cypher. So you can use the 'raw' symmetric cypher
(and think up the password yourself), or let gpg generate some random
bits as a password and encrypt the password using a public key. It's
either one of those two. I know of no alternatives, I don't believe any
alternatives are invented (but I might be wrong).

So if you don't fee symmetric cyphers to be strong enough, you have a
problem, because every pgp message is encrypted using one. Even when
using keys you'll need a passphrase, and as long as you protect it
carefully, you'll be ok either way.

> So my questions are:
>
> 1. How to create a symmetric key or cipher? With that, I may use another
> tool to encrypt/decrypt.
>
> 2. Can gpg be used to do key based encryption? Not passphrase based.
>
> Regards,
> WW

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167
PGP Key fingerprint = 6367 DFE9 5CBC 0737 7D16  B3F6 048A 02BF DC93 94EC

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams