how to create a symmetric cipher

Wei Wu [H] wwu at dls.net
Wed Nov 15 04:52:54 CET 2006

Thanks to all for offering help. I think I did not describe clearly what I
need (actually for one of my friends).

Let me know if what I intend to do make no sense.

The data to be protected resides on a fixed harddisk in a Windows computer.
I have a tool on Windows platform that does encryption using either a
passphrase or a key file. Use of a key file is recommended as it is more
secure (assuming passphrases can be cracked relatively easily). The key file
is expected to be stored separately in a removable disk. So I need a tool to
create a key.

I checked a few key tools such as java keytool and gpg, but their genkey
option does not support the generation of a symmetric key/cipher.

I read the script you (Henry) sent me. Though it does show how to do
symmetric encryption, I don't see how it produce a symmetric cipher.

Basically, I need to do the job in two steps:
1. create a symmetric key
2. encrypt/decrypt using the key

Regards,
Wei