how to create a symmetric cipher

Laurent Jumet laurent.jumet at skynet.be
Wed Nov 15 08:54:42 CET 2006

Hello Wei !

"Wei Wu [H]" <wwu at dls.net> wrote:

> I want to create a symmetric cipher such as AES to encrypt some data, and
> think gpg (GnuPG Version 1.4.2.1) may do this. But I found it gives only
> three options, none is symmetric. I would appreciate if anyone can point me
> to another or way to do it?

--symmetric [File]
    will use CAST5 by default, but you can change that choice by using --cipher-algo option.
    Or better yet, you can define a permanent list of preferred encryptions in --personal-cipher-preferences : the first one will be used for symmetric.

    AES is "S7"
    Example:
personal-cipher-preferences S7 S1 S10 S3 S4 S2

    Of course, each time you make a symmetric encryption, you'll need to type a PassPhrase (but not the one you are using for your secret key), and the recipient must have that PassPhrase in order to decode.

--
Laurent Jumet
      KeyID: 0xCFAF704C