Problem compiling libgpg-error-1.4 with Mac OS X

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Fri Nov 17 06:00:37 CET 2006

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 09:43:15PM +0100, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 22:42, simon at ruderich.com said:
>
> > failing with compiling libgpg-error-1.4.
> > ./configure works but when I run make the following error is
> > displayed and make fails:
>
> Sorry, I have no experience with MAx OS X and its fat binaries.
> Without a testing box at hand it is hadr to guess the problem.
>
> Given that Mac OS X is a Unix system we will add patches if required.

I did some digging on this, and it seems the problem is that configure
(specifically, the tests in gettext.m4) looks for libintl.h to
determine if libintl exists.  On OS X, it doesn't find libintl.h (so
it builds the included copy) but in fact libintl does exist on OS X.
The end result is that it tries to link libintl in twice and fails
because the doubled symbols.

This is not a GPG specific problem, and I wonder if a more up to date
version of the gettext code would resolve this.

David