adding passphrases to gpg-agent

Jorge Almeida jalmeida at math.ist.utl.pt
Thu Nov 23 11:55:00 CET 2006

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006, Werner Koch wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 10:25, jalmeida at math.ist.utl.pt said:
>
>> Isn't there some way to do for gpg-agent what ssh-add does for
>> ssh-agent?
>
> No, gpg-agent works different.
>
> If you want to preset a passphrase, you may do so using
> gpg-preset-passphrase - there is a man page for it.

OK, that seems to do the job (not much different from ssh-add, is it?),
judging by the contents of
http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg/gpg_002dpreset_002dpassphrase.html
and
http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/manuals/gnupg/Invoking-gpg_002dpreset_002dpassphrase.html#Invoking-gpg_002dpreset_002dpassphrase

Now, my system doesn't have such command. I have gnupg 1.4.5 and
1.9.20. (OS is gentoo linux) Is gpg-preset-passphrase new to version
2.0.0?
And what about gpgsm --dump-secret-keys, necessary to know the "keygrip"
argument of gpg-preset-passphrase? This is what I get:
 	$ gpgsm --dump-secret-keys
 	gpgsm: NOTE: THIS IS A DEVELOPMENT VERSION!
 	gpgsm: It is only intended for test purposes and should NOT be
 	gpgsm: used in a production environment or with production keys!
Did I misunderstood something, or is it just that I'm using a package
not recent enough?

TIA,

Jorge Almeida