adding passphrases to gpg-agent

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Nov 23 14:38:33 CET 2006

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 11:55, jalmeida at math.ist.utl.pt said:

> OK, that seems to do the job (not much different from ssh-add, is it?),
> judging by the contents of

ssh-add loads a key into ssh-agent and to dothis it has to ask for the
passphrase.  gpg-preset-passphrase merely stores a passphrase into
gpg-agent's cache.

> Now, my system doesn't have such command. I have gnupg 1.4.5 and
> 1.9.20. (OS is gentoo linux) Is gpg-preset-passphrase new to version
> 2.0.0?

No it is arounf for two years or so.  BTW, you need to add
allow-preset-passphrase
to gpg-agent.conf.

> 	$ gpgsm --dump-secret-keys
> 	gpgsm: NOTE: THIS IS A DEVELOPMENT VERSION!
> 	gpgsm: It is only intended for test purposes and should NOT be
> 	gpgsm: used in a production environment or with production keys!
> Did I misunderstood something, or is it just that I'm using a package
> not recent enough?

There is no secret key

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner