Decrypted files are missing their extension

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Sat Oct 7 13:53:32 CEST 2006

Paul Adams wrote:

>using my gui based PGP 8 client it decrypts to Bob.txt but if I do it
>from the commandline using GnuPG I get a file named Bob with no
>extension.

Put this line in your gpg.conf:

no-mangle-dos-filenames

This behavious is from the time that DOS didn't support double extensions
(actually, since the "dot" was never stored in the filesystem, it didn't
support a dot in a filename).

Since GnuPG never ran on plain MS-DOS I'm not sure why they programmed this
default. I believe some very old win95 versions also had problems with it.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers         //  Physics and science fiction site:
johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl   //  http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html