A question regarding gnupg and passphrases...

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Oct 20 10:43:52 CEST 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 06:02, Chris Walters said:

> says "Encrypted with 1 passphrase".  This implies that it is possible to
> use more than one passphrase when encrypting.  Does anyone know if this
> is true?  Or if it is a future plan?  If it is possible, could someone
> give me an idea of how to do it?

That's right.  The OpenPGP protocol allows for that and it allows even
to encrypt with several passphrases and several public keys at the
same time.  You may then decrypt it with any of these keys.

We don't yet support encrypting with several passphrases.  This is
mainly a user interface problem and well no demand for it.

However, we allow to encrypt for a passphrase and several public keys.
This is done by using "--symmetric --encrypt" (or short "-ce").  Note,
that only newer PGP versions are able to decrypt such messages.

> By the way, I looked over all of the documentation on the site, and it
> does not seem to mention multiple passphrases, nor does the man page.

Becuase it is not implemented on the encryption site ;-)

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner