Bug in getkey.c:2219:merge_selfsigs

Christoph Probst chris-usenet at netzpunkt.org
Fri Oct 27 15:55:45 CEST 2006

Hi,

not sure if I hit this bug because I'm doing stupid things or if there is
really something wrong with gnupg. Maybe it has something to to with
concurrency or my patched version of gnupg ...

I'm using the Gentoo Version of gnupg with the following options activated
resp. deactivated:

   X nls smartcard -doc% -gpg2-experimental -ldap -openct% -pcsc-lite%

It seems as if Gentoo applies a "gnupg-1.9.20-fbsd.patch" to a gnupg
version "1.9.21" but I don't know where this version number is comming from.
gpg itself says:

  gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.5
  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
  under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

  Home: ~/.gnupg
  Supported algorithms:
  Pubkey: RSA, RSA-E, RSA-S, ELG-E, DSA
  Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, AES, AES192, AES256, TWOFISH
  Compression: Uncompressed, ZIP, ZLIB

I was working on a large number of files (about 300) which I exported from my
email client (the result of a key signing party some weeks ago):

  msg_89.asc:                           PGP armored data message
  msg_9.asc:                            PGP armored data message
  msg_90.asc:                           PGP armored data message
  msg_91.asc:                           PGP armored data message
  msg_98.asc:                           PGP armored data message
  msg_99.asc:                           PGP armored data message

It is possible that some of these files were broken or not decryptable using
my key. I can look into it, if it is important.

In this directory I was running the following command on the 300 files:

  ls | xargs -L 1 gpg -d |gpg --import

I expected 'ls' to pass all file names to 'xargs -L 1' and while 'xarg' passes
one by one to 'gpg -d' to decrypt them. The result were many decrypted
signatures for two of my gpg keys which I tried to import using
'|gpg --import'.

This worked for a while but suddenly gpg terminated by signal 6 ...

  gpg: encrypted with 2048-bit ELG-E key, ID 7F5A2741, created 2003-11-17
        "Christoph Probst <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
  gpg: key 9978AF86: "Christoph Probst <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" 2 new signatures
  gpg: onepass_sig with unknown version 126
  gpg: keyring_get_keyblock: read error: invalid packet
  gpg: keydb_get_keyblock failed: invalid keyring
  gpg: keydb_search failed: invalid keyring
  gpg: key 2A623F72: secret key without public key - skipped
  gpg: onepass_sig with unknown version 126
  gpg: keyring_get_keyblock: read error: invalid packet
  gpg: keydb_get_keyblock failed: invalid keyring
  gpg: keydb_search failed: invalid keyring
  gpg: encrypted with ELG-E key, ID 7F5A2741
  gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available
  gpg: key 9978AF86: "Christoph Probst <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" 1 new signature

  gpg: Ohhhh jeeee: ... this is a bug (getkey.c:2219:merge_selfsigs)
  secmem usage: 1472/1472 bytes in 3/3 blocks of pool 1472/32768
  xargs: gpg: terminated by signal 6
  gpg: key 9978AF86: "Christoph Probst <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" 2 new signatures
  gpg: key 2A623F72: "Christoph Probst <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" 1 new signature
  gpg: key 2A623F72: "Christoph Probst <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" 1 new signature
  gpg: key 2A623F72: "Christoph Probst <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" 1 new signature
  gpg: key 2A623F72: "Christoph Probst <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" 1 new signature
  gpg: key 2A623F72: "Christoph Probst <xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>" 1 new signature
  gpg: Total number processed: 85
  gpg:              unchanged: 8
  gpg:         new signatures: 82

If you have further questions about this case just tell me what I should try
or do. I'll save a backup copy of my yesterday keyring which should be able
to reproduce this bug.

Cheers,
Chris

--
Kontakt-Details: http://www.christoph-probst.com/kontakt/
PGP-FP: B171 7EA4 988C DD90 1601  D21C 5279 2FAF 9978 AF86