GnuPG smartcard + KDE?

Andreas Ntaflos daff at dword.org
Fri Oct 27 18:30:03 CEST 2006

Hello list,

this is probably something I should post to a KDE list as well, but
there are probably more users here who use a GnuPG smartcard along with
KDE than elsewhere.

Here's the thing: I got a GnuPG smartcard (but have yet to buy a card
reader) by becoming an fsfe.org fellow and like to know about the
possibilities to use it with KDE.

From what I've read in the smartcard HOWTO and on fsfe.org there is a
PAM module to log into the system with the smartcard. Does this work
with a login manager like KDM as well? What about locking the screen
(xlock, KDE screen/session lock)? Can I use the smartcard for that?

That's all I can think of now :)

I know, card readers are not very pricy but before buying one for my
laptop I just want to know what it is I can do with the smartcard that
I can't do with a plain old GnuPG keyring on a USB stick.

TIA

Andreas
--
Andreas "daff" Ntaflos
Vienna, Austria

GPG Fingerprint: 6234 2E8E 5C81 C6CB E5EC  7E65 397C E2A8 090C A9B4