Compiling GnuPG 1.4.5 for Windows on Windows

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Sep 7 09:02:53 CEST 2006

On Thu,  7 Sep 2006 00:19, Carlo Luciano Bianco said:

> ... and which I hope someday will be included in the official tarball,
> allowing me to remove 2 images from my tutorial! ;-))

I am sorry, but we won't officially support building on Windows. The
requirements are pretty clear: You need a POSIX system to build gpg or
to cross-build it for Windows.

Supporting another build platform is not a good idea as it will cost
too much maintenance time.  Any additional ifdef or include files
increase the risk of portability problems.  Please fix the mingw kit
for Windows to be up to what the cross-compile mingw kit is up to.

There are several Live-CDROMs available which could easily be enhanced
to provide a complete tool-cahhin for building GNU software on
Windows.  Thus you only need to boot your (virtual) box and have a
working environment.  This is far easier than tweaking all these
Windows POSIX wannabe emulations.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner