codeset conversion issue with GnuPG 1.4.x on HP-UX 11.0

mike.keighley at adarelexicon.com mike.keighley at adarelexicon.com
Mon Sep 11 20:42:50 CEST 2006

On Fri,  8 Sep 2006 19:33, Werner Koch <wk at gnupg.org> said:

> It is possible that the iconv detection does not work.
> And yes, we are falling back to an internal iconv replacement.
> Look into util/strgutil.c:
<snip>
> You might want to just add a line
>        || !ascii_strcasecmp (newset, "88591" )

Yes, that does the trick nicely, thanks.

I had trouble understanding the way the ifs and the ifdefs were
interleaved, but I got there in the end.

On Friday, September 8, 2006 at 19:59:10 +0100, Alain Bench <veronatif at free.fr> wrote:

> If you are root, tweak the /usr/lib/nls/iconv/config.iconv file
> to add an "utf-8" to "utf8" alias.

... and that also does the trick nicely !

With this, and without Werner's tweak,
cd = iconv_open (full_newset, "utf-8");
        (where full_newset="iso88591" as returned by nl_langinfo via
newset)
... no longer seems to throw an error.

Since Alain's fix does not involve changing your source, I will go with
that one, thanks to both of you.

> By the way: LANG alone suffices to set a value for all locale
> categories. Do not use LC_ALL, unless you have a Good Reason.

Yes, I do have a Good Reason, but thanks for mentioning it anyway.

--
Mike.